Daily Archives: December 4, 2012
Al’s Secret Christmas Gift to Me
Today, I went to see my brother, Al. He had wandered into the therapy, to ask the therapists to fix his legs. He legs were under the deep heat therapy, and his whole body was full of tremors.
He told me he woke up and did not feel right. He said when he got up, he felt like he was going to fall down. I think he laid back down and let the nurse know he was feeling bad. He told me his tummy hurt, and he just did not feel right.
No nurse came to me with any reports, but I did find out that staff wants him to start eating a little bit more food. He is beginning to taper off his appetite, due to constant pain.
He said that he had another unwanted visitor. This was the visitor that I had spoken to prior and said that Al did not really want her to come back. Al told me,” You would be proud of me Terry. I didn’t have to go get the nurse, I just told her to leave”. I looked at him and said”If this is what you wish, than I am behind you”. He replied back,”She says she will call you and tell you I would not let her in”. I thought to myself, Go for it lady.
A therapist came up to me and said that she thinks so much of Al and that all the staff is crazy about him. She and others were going to be his armor and help guard him from people who may upset him. I appreciated this, as I can not be there 24/7.
I took him the little ornament from Hallmark. It is the old-fashioned radio, that as you turn the dial each day, it says little messages up to Christmas day. He smiled at me and told me thanks.
Most of my visit today was spent in the therapy room. He believes so much that they can help him, and although he is not scheduled for this process any longer, they do not want to burst his bubble.
When it was time for his lunch, I walked with him down to the dining room. I made sure he had his food, and then I told him I would see him the day after today. I said good-bye, and I always say I love you to him. For the very first time, Al smiled up at me, and said I love you too sis. My heart melted, and I smiled all the way out the door.
No one can do so much to me with their hateful words, or bad attitudes, to erase the beautiful moment, that Al gave me. What a wonderful Christmas gift I will always treasure.
The Liebster Award
I went to see Al today, and when I got home, I found this nice surprise in my email box. I was nominated for the Liebster Award by;
Jim is a great guy. He is compassionate. He has a large heart, and he is an excellent writer. Please stop by his blog and do some reading.
These are the rules:
- When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself and answer the 11 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
- Pass the award onto 11 other blogs (while making sure you notify the blogger that you nominated them!)
- You write up 11 NEW questions directed towards YOUR nominees.
- You are not allowed to nominate the blog who nominated your own blog!
- You paste the award picture into your blog. (You can Google the image, there are plenty of them!)
- Eleven things about me are;
- I am almost legally a senior citizen. I can even get some senior discounts for dining.
- I am left handed
- I start listening to Christmas Music in late October
- I am learning to do crafts
- I don’t go to sleep until almost 2am
- I generally think of others before me
- My quest in life is to bring my family back together
- I love talking walks in the evenings
- I love the Victorian era
- I love costume jewelry
- I want a black vintage baby doll before I die
Questions Posted For Me;
1. What’s your earliest recollection of anything? I remember walking hand in hand with my dad down the staircase in the mornings as a toddler
2. How old were you when you were informed that Mister Claus may not be for real? And how did you take it? 9 or 10, and I didn’t believe it. Still today, I do believe in the Christmas spirit
3. What was the first book that you absolutely hated? Government and Econ in my senior year of high school!
4. Money or Love? Although some choose to believe I love money, I will take love over any dollar amount
5. Fantasy holiday destination? Tennessee, smokey mountains, anyone want to go?
6. First kiss? Kindergarden, a boy named Timmy, hehe
7. Favourite funny person? it has never changed, my choice of people always goes to Lucille Ball
8. What kind of music, if any, makes you cry? The Carpenters, Rainy Days and Mondays
9. If you could remove any three letters from the alphabet what would they be, and why? Q, Z, X, not much use for them
10. Favourite animal/pet?, any bird that I can teach to talk. If I could afford it, I would have a big colorful bird and we could carry on conversations, and he would ride on my shoulder
11. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to? Sara
Questions for my nominees:
1. What scares you the most, and why?
2. What three possessions do you think you just can’t live without?
3. When signmakers go on strike, is anything written on their signs?
4. If you could be a character in any book you’ve ever read, who would you be and why?
5. If someone wrote a book about your life, what would be the title?
6. Would you prefer to spend life in prison or be executed? Why?
7. What got you in the most trouble when you were younger?
8. If you could be a religious or spiritual leader, who would it be? Why?
9. What or whom do you most miss from your childhood?
10. Grab the book nearest you. What is the first sentence of the third paragraph on page 12?
11. When did you last write a letter on paper and send it through the postal service?
Sex, Spirit, Soul Mates and Chocolate….Ivonne’s Journey
Daily Prompt;Oasis/ The Daily Post
A sanctuary is a place you can escape to, to catch your breath and remember who you are. Write about the place you go to when everything is a bit too much.
This is a difficult topic for me. I am sitting here staring at the screen, trying to think where I go to when I am stressed.
For so many years, I have kept my stress and my thoughts with me. Caring for my brother this last year, was even worse. There was no escape. He and I were under the same roof 24/7. He would go to his room and watch television; I would run to the internet.
I realize now that I am looking back. I have made a habit of writing. I write to relieve stress. I write when I am lonely, happy, want to share with my friends. I guess I sink my feelings into white empty pages.
It is good though. I have made wonderful friends. No one else could visit other countries all over the world, and never leave your seat. I have friends of all ages. I can have the television on, and when I start writing, I am able to tune out every noise, and live within my thoughts.
Many of you do not realize how you have saved me. Tears, frustrations, sadness, desperation are a few names that I have come to know. Placing Al in a facility so that he can get more help, was the hardest thing I have had to do in years. Guilt, loneliness, sorrow, regrets are all feelings I recognized.
Now he has been in his new home for a few weeks, and I have ventured outside of my four walls, and see that the world is still moving. The air is still wonderful to breath in. The squirrels are still playing in my trees.
The internet and my blog here at WordPress have become my best friend. It happened so easily, that I wasn’t even aware of what was happening. So, a big thank-you, for giving me a safe haven. A place to run to, a place to bring me back to sanity. May the lord bless you all.
- daily prompt : oasis (bodhisattvaintraining.wordpress.com)
- Daily Post Daily Prompt (sunshinefactor.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt – Audience of One (angiesgrapevine.wordpress.com)
- (Somewhat) Daily Prompt (thebeautifulhumble.wordpress.com)
- Rewriting history… daily writing prompt (rochellekarina.com)
Candy Candy Wreath
I found this recipe for making candy cane wreaths. I thought, I can do this. I think I can. I think I can.
Remember the little engine that tried to get up the hill? It was a story book I was read when I was a tot.
That is the way I felt about this. I have painted ceramics. I have refinished antique furniture. Now, I am trying my hand at crafts. I just had to show you the finished product, because I am just a little proud of what I accomplished. The coolest thing is; it actually looks like a candy cane wreath!!
- candy cane wreath ornaments (happyhooligans.ca)
- Deck the Halls With a Candy Cane Manicure (bellasugar.com)
- DIY Candy-Cane Wreath (makesomethingmondays.wordpress.com)
- Get in Mint Condition With DIY Candy Cane Scrub (bellasugar.com)
- DIY Candy Cane Syrup Is Wonderful in Hot Chocolate or Ice Cream (lifehacker.com)