Franz Kafka said, “we ought to read only books that bite and sting us.” What’s the last thing you read that bit and stung you?
I have to confess, I used to be a huge reader, but for a few years now I don’t read that much. It isn’t that I don’t want to, it is that I can not concentrate. I have read a few books that were recommended by friends, and I enjoyed them very much. I would rather talk about the biggest book of all next in line to the Bible.
The book of my life. This is a huge book that has many chapters. It holds love, hurt, learning, disappointments, laughter and sorrow. I have been writing in this book for 58 years.
There are chapters that have bit and stung me real good. An example would be when my best g/f went after my now ex-husband. Talk about a big bite in the rear end! It did sting real bad for a long time.
Another time I can remember being stung pretty hard and deep, is when the doctor’s office called me many years ago, and asked me to come in right away. I should have ignored the words right away. Hearing the devastating words that my two-year old had bone cancer was definitely a big bite to our family home.
Then came the double stings that bite so big you really never get over or through the pain. This was when I lost both of my parents to illness. Talk about a bite and sting bigger than a venomous snake!
The last sting came when I was told that Al had Parkinson’s Disease. This stinger is still in my heart. It pierces a little poison every now and then, forcing me to realize that I can do nothing more than give what God gave me, love. Love is the biggest medicine on this earth. It is free to anyone, and most accept it. Love is what I give to Al as I visit him and comfort him. The bite has been forgotten, but the sting still remains as I sit side by side with my brother waiting out this terrible game of pain.
- Daily Post: Audience of One (swozy.wordpress.com)
- Daily Post – Oasis (littlewonder2.wordpress.com)
- Daily Post Prompt Challenge – Connect The Dots – “Be Cured!” (inlovewiththelord.wordpress.com)
- Daily Post Challenge: Letter to My 14-year-old Self (Day 302) (cherylhuffer.com)
- Top 7 Ways to Get Writing Inspiration (neverstationary.wordpress.com)
- Daily Post Prompt: Much Ado About NOTHING (humantriumphant.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: High Noon (ellenolinger.wordpress.com)