Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 5 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
- 6 slices (1/2 lb) bacon, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 4 dill pickle spears, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded colby-jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, cut into bite sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large soup pot over medium high heat, saute bacon pieces until browned (I like it crispy, it takes about 4-5 minutes). Remove bacon and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Drain grease out of pot.
- To the pot, add the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain and return beef and bacon to pot. (make sure all the grease is out of the pot).
- Add tomatoes (with juice from can), mustard, pickles, beef broth, milk, red pepper, salt and pepper. Simmer over medium-low heat for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally. While this is simmering, place hamburger bun pieces on a baking sheet and bake for about 8-10 minutes.
- To the soup, add heavy cream and cheese. Heat for about 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve in soup bowls with hamburger bun croutons!