yield: 12-15 CUPCAKES
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 15-18 MINUTES
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (dark chocolate)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee (stronger the better)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- 10 oz package m&m candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- For the cupcakes, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix brewed coffee with milk in a small measuring cup. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with sugar for 5 minutes until fluffy. Add in egg. Slowly add in dry ingredients, alternating with coffee mixture (about 3 additions). Beat for 2-3 minutes after final addition, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Scoop batter into paper lined cupcake tins. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire rack before adding frosting.
- For the frosting, beat butter for 2 minutes. Add in powdered sugar, vanilla and milk and beat on medium high until fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Fold in candies. Use a large scoop to add frosting to cupcakes! ENJOY.
**I used regular milk chocolate m&m candies. But the baking bits would be a great option too!