Butter Pecan Apple Skillet Cake with Bourbon Caramel Sauce
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 40-45 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR
One slice of this Butter Pecan Apple Skillet Cake with Bourbon Caramel Sauce and you’ll name this your favorite dessert ever eaten.
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 package (about 3 1/2 cups) Crunch Pak apple slices, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp Bourbon
- pinch of salt
- Butter Pecan ice cream, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease a 9 or 12 inch cast iron skillet with shortening (unless your skillet is well seasoned already). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and 1 1/4 cup of granulated sugar (saving the remaining 1/4 cup for later). Beat together until pale and fluffy, about 3 -4 minutes.
- Add in eggs and vanilla, beat until well combined.
- Slowly add in flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined. Beat in sour cream. Fold in apples and pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared skillet. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Allow cake to cool slightly in pan while making the caramel sauce. (or you can make caramel sauce while cake is cooking)
- For the caramel, in a saucepan, add butter and heat over medium heat until melted. Whisk in the brown sugar, heavy cream, salt, and bourbon. Heat over medium high heat until boiling.
- Boil for one full minutes and serve over warm cake with butter pecan ice cream. ENJOY.