Although Al is 58 years old he has the mind of an older child. I am constantly looking at ways to make his food more interesting.
The best way I get him to eat is make it appealing as if I am making if for a nine or ten-year old.
Today, I spent some time in the kitchen creating. I use my imagination, add here, change this or that, and hopefully I create some fun tasting foods that he will eat.
He has always been a big, big eater but with his illness there are plenty of days that he doesn’t want to eat and I force him by my creations or he will only eat part of what I fix.
Here is what I did today.
I took some graham cracker crumbs that I had in my cupboard. I tossed some butter in the microwave. Threw both of these into a 9×13 pan and stirred and patted. Next, I had the cheapest, generic brownie mix the store offers. I added the one egg, and the one-third cup of oil. Then I was to add two teaspoons of water but I held off on that for a moment.
I mixed to the egg and oil mixture, or should I say tossed, I don’t measure out the added items, chocolate chips, coconut, stirred and then added enough water to make it moist like cake mix. I poured this over the graham cracker mixture and baked at 350 degrees until it was done. Here is how it looks.
The next thing I did was make a batch of pancakes a head of time. Al is a pancake lover. I buy frozen ones, blueberry for him but I like the added touch that shows him I think he is special.
This is what I did.
I took Hungry Jack pancake mix. The kind you only add water. I poured out half of a new box into a bowl. I sliced up two bananas, added chocolate chips and some coconut. Then I added enough water to my eye’s liking.
Here is how these turned out, and by the way, I had to sample one of these. They do not even require syrup they are so yummy.
Lastly, I wanted to thank Lezlie and Angel for the cards they sent Al yesterday. They were very nice. I took a photo of the cards he has received so far. Just a quick F.Y. I. if anyone wants to still send Al a card of get well or something cute, please email me at
I will be glad to send you his address.
- Cake in a Mug (cardsandstitches.wordpress.com)
- Making Mickey Pancakes! (startedwithamouse28.wordpress.com)
- Banana Macadamia Nut pancakes (myasmusingsblog.wordpress.com)
- Cake Mix Pancakes (tastesoflizzyt.com)
- Breakfast Before the First Day of School: Funfetti Pancakes, Strawberry Smoothies, and More (blogher.com)
- Banana Pancakes (healthyconnectionslondon.wordpress.com)
- Banana-Coconut Pancake (superfoodista.wordpress.com)
- Blueberry Lemon Coconut Pancakes (lifeworthwandering.com)
- Chocolate Chip Muffins (low-carb-ketogenic-diets.com)
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cheesecake (homefresh.wordpress.com)