Chocolate Buttermilk Sheet Cake
yield: 24 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup hot water
FOR THE ICING:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup sprinkles, optional, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Spray half sheet pan (size approximately 18×13-inches, I use this one from Amazon) with baking spray. Set aside.
- For the cake, in a large bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until blended.
- Add in the eggs, oil, buttermilk, and hot water. Whisk together until fully combined. Pour into prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until edges pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
- While cake is cooling, prepare chocolate icing. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, buttermilk, and cocoa powder. Whisk until smooth over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat as soon as it boils.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a mixing bowl and add in the powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Pour over cake (it’s okay if the cake isn’t completely cooled). Add sprinkles.
- Cool completely and enjoy!