Chocolates and peppermints
Are the things that I remember
When I think about you.
Taking my fingers in your big hand
We walk the block and a half
I knew in my heart it was hard for you
But you gave me memories and lots of laughs.
The bell rang clear over the door above
The owner knew our faces
You let me go and choose my desires
Feeling so grown-up in familiar places.
Wooden boards creaking neath my feet
As I walked from glass to glass
You standing on the side watching me
Being patient as the minutes passed.
Finally I had made my decisions
And you handed me my money
I picked a gumball and some licorice too
A lollipop and pieces of honey.
I handed the owner all I had
And he made the register ring
He put my goodies in a paper bag
I turned and waved as we began to leave.
I will never forget those days of long ago
You were my hero the one I loved
Now when I pass a candy store
I stop and think of you up above.
- Welcome To My World: It’s Currently Made Of Lollipops (wordswithnannaprawn.com)
- National Licorice Day – April 12th (todaysmama.com)
- Taste the Rainbow (weddingbee.com)
- A Special Note & Giant Lollipop (cutemarshmallowlove.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes (twinkletoestreats.wordpress.com)